Teaching myself to program in Java by following the book Head First Java by Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates has been one of the best things to have happened this year, so far. After trying several years to understand object-oriented programming concepts, finally found this book that provides one of the best introductions. Finally, I too derived a simple way to remember the key concept:
- An object is like a person without a name or a physical body.
- The physical being needs to be created out of the class (play God).
- An object can be visualized as a noun.
- A method can be visualized as a verb.
- Lastly, an instance variable can be visualized as an adjective.
So much for simplicity.