Using Gnome Player a couple of years ago, we could play a list of radio stations streamed over the internet. One of my favourites was the Absolute 90s, Absolute 80s and so on. They were present in the list of internet radio stations in Gnome. However, I wanted to play Absolute 90s using SMPlayer on Xubuntu 13.04. The instructions below apply to any other variant of Linux and SMPlayer.
- Visit http://www.absoluteradio.co.uk/listen/on-other-devices.html#absoluteradio90s
- From the list of links, I chose the one that says Ogg Vorbis: ~32k: and linked to http://network.absoluteradio.co.uk/core/audio/ogg/live.pls?service=a9
- You need to download the live.pls, locate the link File1=http://icecast.timlradio.co.uk/a932.ogg within live.pls, to figure out the link it actually uses for radio streaming. This is the link you need to paste into the SMPlayer Radio dialog as below.
- Start SMPlayer and click on Open -> Radio -> Edit and then click on the New Item button.
- Paste the link http://icecast.timlradio.co.uk/a932.ogg as the Media. You can give it any name you want.
Now it will appear as a selection in SMPlayer Open -> Radio and click on the station name you see there.