It is possible to overwrite the stock firmware of the Samsung Galaxy Y GT-S5360 android phone. Unfortunately, once done, it is difficult to go back to stock ROM, except with some special tools provided on the XDA Developers site. Firmware changes and following the steps below void warranties, can result in damage to phone and loss of data, if followed. Proceed only if you know what you are doing. No one is responsible other than you.
Visit the most popular link sammobile as it shows up on Google Search first. From there, download Odin v3.09.zip and the latest single tar.md5 firmware file that is needed. Starting up Odin was easy, but it fails to install several times. The sammobile firmware file cannot be used directly, although it is a valid firmware file. That file needs to be split into 3 using a specialized tool. To save time, read on.
On this xda developers page follow the steps below to get Stock ROM back to the Galaxy Y.
- Download and install the Samsung USB driver
- If Samsung Kies is installed, the driver will also be installed, but it is necessary to kill all the Samsung Kies processes in the task manager.
- Download and extract Odin v3.07.zip.
- Download and extract the Stock ROM for India.
- Start the phone in download mode by pressing the
Home + Volume Down + Powerbuttons. You can press them one after another too, but ensure all are pressed before the phone starts.
- On the computer, start Odin 3.07 exe file and then connect the phone via the USB cable to the computer.
- Press the
Volume Upbutton on the phone to get into Download.
- Now wait for a blue / yellow highlight to appear on the ODIN display on the com:id text.
- Make sure that only the auto reboot and Reset time check boxes are ticked.
- Still in ODIN, select the file for PDA, select the file for Modem, select the file for CSC. Now required items in Odin are entered.
Click the Start button in Odin and wait for flashing to be complete.
Phone will automatically restart.