Recently, I wanted to change the stock quote source for the stocks in GnuCash. To do so, follow the steps below:
- To retrieve the stock quotes for National Stock Exchange or Bombay Stock Exchange in India, use
Yahoo as JSONas the source.
- To find the stock quote and abbreviation, visit the Yahoo Finance at https://in.finance.yahoo.com on the internet and look up the stock quote.
- Start GnuCash. Then go to Tools -> Security Editor. There I chose the old MumbaiStock Namespace -> Symbol and in my case the stock was GVK Power. Click on it, and then the Edit button.
- Here change the Symbol/Abbreviation to GVKPIL.BO, Display Symbol to GVKPIL.BO and the Type to BO. Type of Quote Source to be Single and choose
Yahoo as JSONfrom the list of sources.
- Now go to Tools -> Price Database -> Get Quotes.
This should now work. This Accounts List will show the stock as GVKPIL.BO next to the quantity. Check in the Advanced Portfolio Report if the change was successful.